Skip to main content

When Sons Play Golf: A Mum’s Walk Through Fairways, Thoughts, and Quiet Joy

 
The duck was there first.

Standing at the edge of the pond, calm and completely unbothered, it faced the water as if nothing else in the world existed. The surface reflected the sky so clearly it blurred the boundary between above and below. It was quiet—one of those still moments that feels almost sacred.

Yesterday, during my sons’ practice round at Belton Woods, I found myself pausing there longer than I expected. Not because of the game, but because of everything around it.

A little further along, I noticed a tiny beetle resting on a blooming leaf. So small, so still, and yet perfectly placed within the vastness of the course. I took a photo, quietly, while the rhythm of golf carried on in the background—the soft strike of a ball, the murmur of voices, footsteps on grass.

I’m not a golfer. Not really. I don’t carry a handicap. I don’t own a polished set of clubs, and I still hesitate when someone asks me the difference between a draw and a fade. And yet, over the years, standing just a few paces behind my sons as they walk 18 holes, I’ve learned more about the game than I ever expected—something deeper than I anticipated.

Not by playing—but by watching.

At first, I was simply there to support them. A presence. A quiet cheerleader. But slowly, the experience became something more. The golf course revealed itself not just as a place for sport, but as a thoughtfully designed landscape—an environment shaped by both human imagination and natural forces.

There is something mesmerising about it.

Each hole feels intentional, almost like a question posed by the course designer. A curve in the fairway, a dogleg here, a deceptive bunker there, a green that slopes just enough to test patience and precision. It feels less like sport and more like a conversation between the player and the mind that designed the land. It’s a kind of architecture that speaks—not loudly, but persistently—challenging the player to think, adapt, and respond.

And always, nature is part of that conversation—always present, always influencing.

Belton Woods Golf Club
The wind shifts. The ground changes. Moisture underfoot quietly reshapes every shot. Light moves across the landscape. Nothing is fixed, and every decision a player makes must take these subtle changes into account. A player must read the land the way one reads a story—carefully, attentively, respectfully. It’s not just about strength or technique—it’s about awareness.
Credit: British Junior Golf Tournament (photo posted on Instagram)
And as I watched my sons play, I began to see parallels between the game and the natural moments I was quietly collecting—the duck at the pond, the beetle on the leaf, the stillness between shots.

Patience, for instance. You can’t rush a good shot, just like you can’t rush growth in nature. Decision-making too—choosing the right club feels like choosing the right path, weighing risk against possibility. Even failure has its place. A missed shot isn’t the end; it’s simply part of the terrain, something to learn from and move through.

As a mum, I thought I was there to watch them grow.

But quietly, unexpectedly, I found myself growing too.

Picture taken at their home club: Maylands Golf Club, 6.4.2026
There’s a unique kind of joy in walking those 18 holes—not playing, not competing, just observing. You notice things others might miss. The way the grass changes texture between fairway and rough. The sound of a well-struck ball. The silence before a putt. The way concentration settles over a player like a gentle fog.

And in between all of that, there is room to breathe. To think. To simply be present.

I may not be a golfer, but I’ve come to understand the long game in my own way. It’s not just about distance or technique—it’s about awareness, resilience, and connection. To the land. To the moment. To yourself.

So what do mums do when their sons play golf?

We walk. We watch. We notice.

We stand by ponds where ducks drift without concern. We pause for tiny beetles on blooming leaves. We take in the wide landscape and the careful design behind it. And somewhere along the way, we realise that while we may not be holding the clubs, we are still part of the journey, quietly observing, quietly connected.

And sometimes, without even realising it, we fall in love with the game too—just from a different place, in our own quiet way, among the ducks, the pond, the putter, and our sons.


Comments

Aruna said…
Lovely write-up.
Anonymous said…
Written very eloquently and proud of your son Dr Kantha

Popular posts from this blog

A poem for my Malaysia

This poem is written in Malay Language, my homeland's national language. It is written in the spirit of the celebration of Malaysia's 62nd Independence Day. It is not meant to condemn or based on any specific ethnicity, or person. It is purely from the heart and mind of mine for the love of my birth country, a moment simply for my homeland. Sejenak untukmu Aku bukan bukan Melayu kerana aku cukup Melayu, cukup Cina, cukup India, dan cukup lain-lain kaum. Aku anak Malaysia. Aku bukan bukan Melayu kerana aku atuh pada rukun. Rukun aku rukun negara. Usah disindir kepercayaanku kerana aku bukan calang-calang orang. Aku anak Malaysia. Aku bukan bukan Melayu. Aku tahu Melayu, aku hormati Melayu, dan aku cintai Melayu kerana aku anak Malaysia. Aku bukan anak India. Bahasa ibuku Tamil,  kampungku pekan Melayu, sekolah rendahku sekolah Cina. Kerjaku merantau dunia. Kini sudah dekad lamanya aku dikota Lon...

A Day Through My Eyes

Through the eyes of my little T , he brings me both joy and peace. His cheeky smile can soothe the storms of the classroom, and on some days, he stirs a small hurricane of his own. With him, no day is ever the same. Teaching T has taught me as much as I teach him. I am still learning—learning how he sees the world, how he communicates, and how he finds his way through sound, movement, and connection . If T were to tell you his story in my classroom, if he could put his experiences into words the way he feels them, perhaps this is what he would say. This is How I Learn When I enter my classroom, everything feels big. Lights shine, chairs move, voices blend together. My eyes try hard to see, but they get tired sometimes. I look anyway. I want to know what is happening around me. I know each and every child in my class. I know their smiles, their favorite seats, even the way they hold their pencils. I love helping my teacher—giving out workbooks, arranging them neatly on the tables so ev...