Skip to main content

The Last Leaf

(View from St. Francis' Hospice's Main Entrance, The Hall Broxhill Road, Romford 11/12/2018)

Silent night and lonely path...
the leaves are withering, one by one just as her breath.
She breathes slowly- once at a time...
slowly and slower...her breath fading into the air.
As long as she is warm, life is there
and I am here- by her bedside just as I promised.

(penned on 11/12/2018 at around 11pm, My precious friend whom I fondly called Logi, died the next night 12/12/2018 at 10.02pm because of cancer)

The Last Leaf

and the last leaf withered,
so is her breath...peacefully...gently...

looking at me calmly and nodded the final goodbye,

 as I was half-way chanting,
The holy Hindu hymn, 'Sivapuranam'.

I know I have to finish the verses...and I did.

Rest in peace my dearest friend. I will miss you.
    
This poem is dedicated to all who has lost the battle to cancer and those who continues the fight and the ones who have conquered it. To all the families, my heart goes out to you. Grieve always comes in waves. At times it feels as if life is returning to normal, and then every so often the gruesome feelings are a resurgent of a range of emotions- missing, sorrow, guilt, anger, pain, unease and agony.


Comments

Susilan said…
Nice poem sis. 😍👍🏽

Popular posts from this blog

When Sons Play Golf: A Mum’s Walk Through Fairways, Thoughts, and Quiet Joy

  The duck was there first. Standing at the edge of the pond, calm and completely unbothered, it faced the water as if nothing else in the world existed. The surface reflected the sky so clearly it blurred the boundary between above and below. It was quiet—one of those still moments that feels almost sacred. Yesterday, during my sons’ practice round at Belton Woods, I found myself pausing there longer than I expected. Not because of the game, but because of everything around it. A little further along, I noticed a tiny beetle resting on a blooming leaf. So small, so still, and yet perfectly placed within the vastness of the course. I took a photo, quietly, while the rhythm of golf carried on in the background—the soft strike of a ball, the murmur of voices, footsteps on grass. I’m not a golfer. Not really. I don’t carry a handicap. I don’t own a polished set of clubs, and I still hesitate when someone asks me the difference between a draw and a fade. And yet, over the years, standi...

A poem for my Malaysia

This poem is written in Malay Language, my homeland's national language. It is written in the spirit of the celebration of Malaysia's 62nd Independence Day. It is not meant to condemn or based on any specific ethnicity, or person. It is purely from the heart and mind of mine for the love of my birth country, a moment simply for my homeland. Sejenak untukmu Aku bukan bukan Melayu kerana aku cukup Melayu, cukup Cina, cukup India, dan cukup lain-lain kaum. Aku anak Malaysia. Aku bukan bukan Melayu kerana aku atuh pada rukun. Rukun aku rukun negara. Usah disindir kepercayaanku kerana aku bukan calang-calang orang. Aku anak Malaysia. Aku bukan bukan Melayu. Aku tahu Melayu, aku hormati Melayu, dan aku cintai Melayu kerana aku anak Malaysia. Aku bukan anak India. Bahasa ibuku Tamil,  kampungku pekan Melayu, sekolah rendahku sekolah Cina. Kerjaku merantau dunia. Kini sudah dekad lamanya aku dikota Lon...

A Day Through My Eyes

Through the eyes of my little T , he brings me both joy and peace. His cheeky smile can soothe the storms of the classroom, and on some days, he stirs a small hurricane of his own. With him, no day is ever the same. Teaching T has taught me as much as I teach him. I am still learning—learning how he sees the world, how he communicates, and how he finds his way through sound, movement, and connection . If T were to tell you his story in my classroom, if he could put his experiences into words the way he feels them, perhaps this is what he would say. This is How I Learn When I enter my classroom, everything feels big. Lights shine, chairs move, voices blend together. My eyes try hard to see, but they get tired sometimes. I look anyway. I want to know what is happening around me. I know each and every child in my class. I know their smiles, their favorite seats, even the way they hold their pencils. I love helping my teacher—giving out workbooks, arranging them neatly on the tables so ev...